Statue of St. Ludmila with little Wenceslas - the eighth one on the left looking from the Old Town Bridge Tower
the eighth one on the left looking from the Old Town Bridge Tower
The sandstone statue of St. Ludmila teaching little Wenceslas to read was probably created in the workshop of Matyáš Bernard Braun sometime after 1720. It was made for the ramp of the Prague Castle by the former Church of the Virgin of Einsiedeln. St. Ludmila is holding a veil, with which she was strangled, in her left hand. Her right hand is pointing out words in the Bible to teach her grandson St. Wenceslas to read. The relief on the pedestal depicts the murder of St. Wenceslas. The statue replaced the statuary of St. Wenceslas standing between two angels that was made by Italian sculptor Ottavio Mosto (1659-1701) in 1696 and fell into the river during the flood of 1784. The statue on the bridge is a copy made by Jan Kačer and M. Kačerová in 1999; the original is in Gorlice at Vyšehrad. The torso of the original statue made by Ottavio Mosto is now in the Lapidarium of the National Museum; some of its parts were not retrieved from the river until 2004.